PRESS RELEASE ON
RESULT OF THE MEETING OF THE CAMBODIA NATIONAL RESCUE PARTY (CNRP) PERMANENT COMMITTEE
On January 20, 2019, at 3 pm Eastern Standard Time (USA), the Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) Permanent Committee held a meeting presided over by H.E. Sam Rainsy, CNRP Acting President, in Lowell, Massachusetts, United States, to discuss the following agenda:
- Monitor and assess the current political situation in Cambodia;
- Draw up a three-month action plan;
- Other items.
There were seven members of the Permanent Committee directly participating in this meeting, two members through Skype and six members through letter of attorney. In this meeting, the Permanent Committee also allowed the leaders of the CNRP chapters in USA and Canada to observe the meeting and to comment. This meeting of the CNRP Permanent Committee was the first meeting to be enabled to make political decisions after the leadership of the CNRP was revived and after the Hun Sen regime illegally and arbitrarily dissolved the CNRP on paper.
After a thorough discussion, the Permanent Committee meeting resolved to:
- Endorse the resolution of the Overseas CNRP World Conference made on December 1-2, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, requesting H.E. Sam Rainsy’s return to CNRP leadership as acting president for a transitional period.
- Oppose Hun Sen’s holding the CNRP “hostage” with threats against the EU, which plans to impose sanctions on his regime. At the same time, the CNRP endorses the EU move targeting the Hun Sen regime to restore democracy and respect for human rights in Cambodia.
- Prepare for H.E. Sam Rainsy’s return to Cambodia by carrying out the following tasks:
- Establishing a working group mobilising people to greet H.E. Sam Rainsy on his return to Cambodia;
- Expanding diplomatic activities;
- Expanding dissemination of information about national issues posed by the Hun Sen regime;
- Making closer relationships with all democrats from every social circle;
- Preparing a corresponding budget.
National and international audiences are hereby informed of the outcome of this CNRP Permanent Committee meeting which met the quorum requirement as specified in the party’s bylaws and therefore was able to make lawful decisions.
Lowell, January 20, 2018
Cambodia National Rescue Party
For more information, please contact
+1 (929) 400-3173
+1 (781) 215-2330